Friday, September 10, 2010

Laura Bush's Autobiography

I've been waiting to read Laura Bush’s new autobiography, Spoken from the Heart, for months now. Since the waiting list is ridiculously long at the library, I broke down and ordered a copy from Amazon. I have a thing for First Ladies of any party. I think they have a fascinating, and very difficult, job. I always admired Laura's quiet, supportive nature and in reading this book, I like her even more. She is a very wise women and an eloquent writer. I highly recommend her book!

Anyhow, a portion of the book really struck a cord with me. She chronicled her struggles to conceive her twins. She perfectly captures the loss of infertility in one paragraph...

"The English language lacks the words to mourn an absence. For the loss of a
parent, grandparent, spouse, child or friend, we have all manner of words and
phrases, some helpful some not. Still we are conditioned to say something, even
if it is only “I’m sorry for your loss.” But for an absence, for someone who was
never there at all, we are wordless to capture that particular emptiness. For
those who deeply want children and are denied them, those missing babies hover
like silent ephemeral shadows over their lives. Who can describe the feel of a
tiny hand that is never held?"

No comments: