We made it to Egg Retrieval!
Brian and I got to the clinic at 6:15 this morning. We were the first on the schedule, so we had the place to ourselves. My nurse was the same one that took care of me in August, so she teased me that she was going to call me Jenni Kenny if I misbehaved! We went thru all the paperwork, I got changed into a very fashionable gown, and then they went to work trying to get the IV in. Remembering from last time what a chore it was, the nurse decided not even to try and have the anesthesiologist do it.
So, in comes the anesthesiologist and he tries to get my veins to cooperate to no avail. He tried everything....laying me flat, hanging my hands down, thumping away, hot compresses, etc all while sticking me several times. He finally had success on my left, but the vein wasn't flowing good. So, back to the right. Finally, we had success and into the cold OR I go.
The procedure was quick and easy, only lasting about 45 minutes. The next thing I knew, I was back in recovery listening to Dr. G tell us I did great and they retrieved 20 eggs!!! Yep, 20 eggs! He also said that he wanted to infuse me with a bag of Hetastarch which is a medication used to reduce the likelihood of OHSS (Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome) which is bad, bad, bad. So, we got to hang out for another hour or so, chat with the nurses, and drink gatorade.
Now, I'm just resting at home. I feel really good...just super bloated and a little anxious for tomorrow. Tomorrow, we'll get the call letting us know how the eggs fertilized. So, we're keeping our fingers crossed for a good fertilization report. I have a brand new batch of meds that I start tonight (Medrol, Estrace, Progestrone, and an antibiotic)....no shots! Please continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we enter into another phase of cooking up our very own McMiracle!
Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Good luck! I didn't know you had problems with IV's. Do you have "small veins" that what they always tell me. Of coarse I think I just have "bad luck" with needles. Any way I've got my fingers crossed for you.
I have small veins and they are deep...so they are extra hard to find. Good times!
Wow, things are really moving. Hope you have a good report tommrow. That IV thing sounds uncomfortable. Speaking of IV's Dad pulled his out the first night, blood everywhere. Then he pulled out the second one. On the third one they wrapped his arm in a sleeve.
Post a Comment