Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Advent Traditions

This year, Brian and I are starting some Christmas holiday traditions with Sara. December is my busiest time at work. It's easy to become so consumed by completing items on my task lists during this busy time, completely forgetting the reason for these activities in the first place. It's important to me that, as a family, we simply slow down and enjoy the Spirit of the season. For without the blessing of the Savior’s birth, there would be no reason to celebrate this time of year. Christmas would be just like any other holiday; we would have a day to spend with family, but the day would hold no special meaning.


Advent is a special time in the Lutheran church and I knew I wanted to share this time of expectant waiting and preparation for Christmas with Sara. We put up an Advent calendar that hangs right below my favorite Christmas verse: “Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, ‘Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace and good will to men.’” (Luke 2:13-14)






I loaded her advent calendar with notes that contain different activities like Read a Christmas story, Open a present under the tree, to take a wagon ride around the neighborhood to look at Christmas lights, play with playdough, and take a bubble bath with a new bath toy. I wanted Advent to be about experiences, instead of trinkets and candy. But, of course, I had to add in a few presents to unwrap and sweets to enjoy! Each night, after dinner, we pull a card and do the activity.
Here's a few of our high-lights:



Reading "The Legend of the Candy Cane" and enjoying her first Candy Cane.


Ready to take our night walk to see Christmas lights in the neighborhood. She loved her mittens! She kept opening and closing her hands!




Playdough Time....she was so proud of the cookie cutters


Bubble Bath...her first one...ever! It was a hit.

No comments: