
So, I saw this onsie and laughed! When Brian and I have our baby, it would never be able to wear this. Some how, "chemically processed and artificially inseminated" doesn't have the same ring to it!
National Infertility Awareness Week is coming up at the end of the month. I've decided to write a little about our experience each Friday leading up to NIAW. Brian and I are first in our circle of family and friends to have a diagnosis of infertility. We have decided to be as open as possible with our struggles to create a family.
Infertility affects 1 in 8 couples. It's hard to explain what we are feeling and dealing with to someone who hasn't experienced it for themselves. I read an article that likened infertility to reverse grief. When someone dies, you mourn for them. Slowly, as time passes, the grief lessens. With infertility, it is the opposite. Slowly, as time passes, the grief intensifies.
Many of our friends have told us that don't know what to do or say. Sometimes there isn't really anything you can say that is going to make the situation better. A simple hug and "I'm praying for you" truly goes a long way!
Infertility Etiquette - this article by RESOLVE will help to explain what to say and not say. Please don't blindly hand out advice. "Just relax and Stay Positive" is the most ridiculous thing to say to anyone. Remember that infertility is a medical condition. If someone broke their arm you would not say, "just relax, think positive, and it will heal." No, you would take them immediately to the emergency room.


1 comment:
Your little tshirt should read "I got my curly red hair from my mother"
Post a Comment