I took advantage of having a Saturday by myself. I did a bunch of Spring cleaning that needed to be done and then I decided to see what I could find at Home Depot. I've been wanting to plant something in the driveway planter, but haven't been able to decide on what. I knew that it needed to be drought resistant and colorful. When I saw the Sweet Broom plants, I knew they were they ones! So, I planted and mulched to my hearts content!
The garden is doing well. I've only had one causality so far. My red bell pepper plant bit the dust. I have herbs (basil, rosemary, chives, parsley, cilantro, and thyme), 4 tomato plants, a jalapeno pepper, a green bell pepper, radishes (from seed) and lettuce. I planted a bunch of flower seeds and they are just beginning to sprout.
Did you know the average household throws away 200 pounds of food scraps per year? That's a lot of scraps! I've been wanting to start a compost pile for awhile now. But, since Belle hangs out in the backyard, it had to be somehow contained so she wouldn't forage in it. I was perusing one of my favorite blogs and came across directions on how to make a compost container out of a Rubbermaid tub. Check is out here . I'm looking forward to reducing waste and never (hopefully) having to haul home potting soil again!
"In the Spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt" Margaret Atwood

1 comment:
Hmm, a dog proof compost container. Maybe a plastic tub would work. I hope you and Brian have a good week at work and that Brian survives the next wave of layoffs. The economy stinks.
Post a Comment