Sunday, January 5, 2014

New Years reflections

2013 was incredibly challenging for our family. Brian continued to struggle with unemployment, I knew I needed a change in my career but didn't know the direction to take (and still don't), and Sara was diagnosed with ASD. We lost touch with loved ones, we said goodbye to dreams unfilled, and we watched people battle demons no one should ever have to face ( f*uck you, cancer).

I really struggled during the holidays. I couldn't believe this is where we were. I feared the future. I was tired and simply worn out.

I saw a man, alone, at the park. He was probably suffering from mental illness; a fact made obvious by the imaginary people he was talking to. Instead of turning my back and becoming annoyed, I smiled at him and hugged Sara a little tighter. He is someone's son and I am more tolerate. Yes....that's what the struggles of the past year have taught me. Tolerance...and the fact that we can find JOY in the most difficult of situations.

Am I tired of having to find joy in difficult situations...you bet. Do I wish things had been easier in 2013? Yea.... But, I'm thankful for these difficulties beause the have taught me more than easy times ever could. This year, I will continue to find the JOY in all that we do....bring it on!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: