One of the books I read on maternity leave after Sara was born was The Help. I laughed, I cried, and laughed some more. It since became a movie and I loved the movie even more. I loved Aibileen and how she instilled self worth in Mae Mobley again and again through the familiar line:
"You is kind, you is smart, you is important."
After I read that line, I said it to my sweet girl everyday, because that is what I want her to believe.
That is what I want her to know.
Shortly after Sara was diagnosed with Autism, there was a horrible letter written to the parents of the child with autism that went viral. In all truthfulness, I haven't made it thru the whole letter. It physically hurts me to know that is what is waiting in the world. If you want to read it, you can see it here.
One day, Sara will be able to look around and notice what sets her apart from others. When she takes notice of this, I want her to see a person who is capable, who is believed in, who is supported, who is loved, who is respected. I want her to see a girl who can dream any dream, wish any wish and work hard to make them come true. I want her to see her abilities, never her disability. Sara will grow up hearing, "You is kind, you is smart, you is important."

No comments:
Post a Comment