Wednesday, September 7, 2011

National Day of Service

United We Serve - Veterans and Military Families

I can't believe that 10 short years has past since 9/11/01. I remember that day like yesterday. It's easy to remember the images that we all saw on the TVs that we couldn't pull away from. It's easy to remember how we felt. Though it was a day that was marked as a tragedy, it caused a nation to unite under extreme duress. In the days that followed 9/11/01, I remember everyone seemed a little nicer, a little more patient, a little less hurried.

Beginning in 2002, family members who lost loved ones in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks and support groups began to seek a forward-looking tribute to honor the sacrifice of those who were lost and pay tribute to those who rose in service in response to the tragedy.

By encouraging Americans to participate in service and remembrance activities on the 9/11 anniversary, family members wanted to provide a productive and respectful way to honor those who perished and rekindle the spirit of unity and compassion that swept our nation after 9/11 to help meet the challenges we face today.

Because of their efforts to build support for this idea, September 11 has been designated a National Day of Service and Remembrance. The September 11th National Day of Service and Remembrance was established into law by the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act in 2009, and is consistent with President Obama’s overall call to service, United We Serve.

I'll be honest...I don't have a ton of time to volunteer right now. I wish I did....but I don't. However, when I stumbled across Operation Shower, I knew I had to help. Operation Shower is about celebrating and honoring military families. Operation Shower is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that provides joyful baby showers for military families to ease the burden of deployment. Check out their website and their Amazon Wish List and help make a service family's day just a little bit brighter! Together, we can make a difference on this 9/11

Operation Shower website
Operation Shower Wish List

No comments: