Basically, Sara is missing a piece of chromosome 15 and has an extra piece of chromosome 16. Here is a quick genetics lesson:
Each chromosome is numbered (except the X and Y). Each chromosome has a p-arm (short arm) and q-arm (long arm). And those arms are segmented into bands.
So for Sara, she has a deletion (missing piece)
- of chromosome 15
- on the q-arm
- at band 13.3
She also has a duplication (extra piece)
- of Chromosome 16
- on the p-arm
- at band 13.11
Our neurologist order the Chromosomal Microarray after Sara showed little improvement with Speech Therapy and widening developmental gaps. When the test results came back, they were a huge surprise to us. However, they didn't surprise our Heavenly Father. Just as He knows the number of hairs on our heads, he knows the number of chromosomes in Sara's body.
After Sara's diagnosis, I did a lot of soul searching. I turned to His word..a place that has always brought me comfort and clarity. After struggling and grieving, I'm now in a place to know that this is part of His perfect plan for our lives.
Psalms 139:13-4 says, "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."
Sara is wonderfully made by our Father, who does not make mistakes. Brian and I were chosen, specially, to be Sara's mommy and daddy. What an incredible honor for us to be chosen to love and care for our sweet Sara Bug.
Below is a great video explaining chromosome disorders. It's worth the 8 minutes to watch.

No comments:
Post a Comment