Sunday, May 3, 2009

Relay for Life



I just got home a bit ago from participating in Relay for Life, a 24-hour relay fundraising event for the American Cancer Society. I'm very sleepy as I write this, as I have been at the Relay for the past 24 hours and only got about 1 hour of sleep in a lawn chair. But, it was such a great experience, that I had to share!


Together with 10 co-workers from Crate, I spent the last 24 hours Celebrating survivors who have won their battle with cancer,


Joelle and Lucy are finishing up the Survivor Lap. Lucy is a 4 year survivor of Thyroid Cancer. Joelle will be finishing her treatments in July for Melanoma



Fighting Back by walking approximately 15 miles while representing my team, who raised $4,500 all together, on the track,





We earned recognition as a Bronze level team for our efforts!


Remembering those who have sadly lost their battle with this terrible disease.






Naquisha getting ready to do the Bra Lap in memory of her Grannie.




Like all my team-mates, I have never participated in anything like this before. We weren't really sure what to expect. Mother Nature tested our dedication with a wet and stormy start to the day. However, we all unanimously agreed that Relay will become an annual event.
The Girl Power portion of the team: me, Joelle, Naquisha, Casey and Jana...we took turns walking thru-out the night!





Our Campsite...complete with our educational posters wrapped in plastic protection from the rain!

Thank you to all of you who sent in donations. Thank you especially to Brian and Heather for coming to spend part of the day with me. It was great having you there to support the team!







Ariel walking at 6:30 Sunday morning

1 comment:

TK said...

Wow, that is wonderful you raised that much money and were able to stick it out with all the rain. Congratulations!